Check your building permit inspection time, search Permits
- Permit, Project & Property Info
- Contractors State Licensing Board (CSLB) web based complaint process and forms to report un-permitted construction and construction by unlicensed contractors.
- Building Permit Amnesty Program
- LIMITED SERVICES DUE TO FIRE-CLICK FOR INFO
New Building Code Changes Effective January 2017
- Significant Code Changes
- Residential Code Changes
- Energy Code Changes
- Electrical Code Changes
- Plumbing Code Changes
- Mechanical Code Changes
- Green Building Code Changes
Ukiah Office: (707) 234-6650
860 North Bush Street, Ukiah, CA 95482
Fax: (707) 463-5709
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm *(Permits are not issued after 4:30 pm)
- Brent Schultz - Director
- Mary Lynn Hunt & Julia Acker Krog - Chief Planner
- Adrienne Thompson-Administrative Services Manager
Fort Bragg Office: (707) 964-5379
120 West Fir Street, Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Fax: (707) 961-2427
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm *(Permits are not issued after 4:30 pm)
- Mike Oliphant -Building Official
- Bill Kinser - Senior Planner
The Mendocino County Planning and Building Services Department encompasses the Current and Long Range Planning, Building, Code Enforcement, Vehicle Abatement, Cartographic Divisions and the County Water Agency. A satellite office performing coastal planning, building and code enforcement functions is located in Fort Bragg, CA.
Mission Statement and Department Services
MISSION STATEMENT. To effectively manage existing and future development by facilitating the availability of adequate services and facilities, advocating the wise use of our natural resources, promoting an awareness and consideration of cultural resources, and facilitating the protection and enhancement of the quality of life in Mendocino County. While recognizing it is not always possible to reconcile the often-diverse interests of our clients (private applicants, interested citizens, general public, decision-makers, other agencies) we will strive to:
- Provide precise, up-to-date and innovative advice and technical expertise.
- Be problem solvers seeking solutions to issues within the framework of the regulations.
- Treat all members of the public, applicants, decision-makers and co-workers in a courteous, respectful and professional manner.
- Improve and maintain effectiveness and efficiency by forging working relationships within, and external to the County organizations.
- Develop and maintain a work environment that strives for excellence and exemplary customer service through teamwork, continuous training, career advancement, innovation, and a culture that encourages creative change.
DEPARTMENT SERVICES. The Planning and Building Services Department's primary responsibilities are to:
- Administer, implement and enforce state and local building construction regulations in the unincorporated area of the County and the cities of Fort Bragg and Point Arena;
- Administer, implement and enforce state and local land use planning and zoning laws;
- Prepare, revise, update, implement and administer the County General Plan, Local Coastal Program and Airport Land Use Plans.
- Coordinate the abatement of abandoned vehicles in the unincorporated area of the County and the Cities of Willits, Fort Bragg and Point Arena.
- Coordinate preparation and dissemination of mapping and population information.
State and local construction regulations include the Uniform California Building Code, Plumbing Code, Mechanical Code, Fire Code, Housing Code, Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings, Swimming Pool Code, National Electric Code, State Historic Building Code, Regulations for Limited Density Rural Dwellings, (Class K), the California Administrative Code Titles 24 and 25, and sections of the California Health and Safety Code including access requirements for the physically disabled. Typically, the Department will review or plan check, then inspect structures during the course of construction. Planning and Building Services is responsible for the administration of these construction regulations in the unincorporated area of the County as well as the Cities of Fort Bragg and Point Arena.
Under State and local planning law, the Department is responsible for preparing, updating and implementing the County General Plan, Housing Element and Local Coastal Program, including the Mendocino Town Plan, Gualala Town Plan, Comprehensive Airport Land Use Plans, zoning ordinances, subdivision ordinance (consistent with the State Subdivision Map Act) surface mining ordinance and the California Environmental Quality Act. In administering these codes and regulations, the Department processes all required applications (i.e., General Plan amendment, rezoning, agricultural preserve, subdivision, use permit, coastal development permit, variance, certificate of compliance, boundary line adjustment, etc.) and provides staff support to the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission, Mendocino Historical Review Board, Board of Building and Housing Appeals, Archaeological Commission, Airport Land Use Commission and Subdivision Committee.
The Long Range Planning Division is charged with the update of the General Plan, completion of the Ukiah Valley Area Plan, preparation of the 2009 Housing Element, update of the Mendocino Town Plan, update of the Local Coastal Plan and special projects as assigned.