Cannabis Overlay Zones
Mendocino County is amending its cannabis regulations to establish two types of overlay zones: areas intended to support continued operations by existing growers (Opt-In Zones), and areas where new commercial cannabis cultivation would be restricted (Opt-Out Zones).
Michael Baker International, the County’s consultant, and County staff will discuss the purpose and intent of the overlay zones and the boundaries of the proposed Opt-In Zones and Opt-Out Zones at upcoming community meetings. Community members are encouraged to learn more about these proposed overlay zones and to provide input on both the proposed regulations and the boundaries of the proposed overlay zones. The Board of Supervisors is seeking input from affected community members to help guide their discussions and decisions regarding these proposed regulations.
Overview of Proposed Regulations:
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt In Zone 1a - Covelo Core
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt In Zone 1b - Covelo Fairbanks Rd
- Mendocino County Canabis Zoning Map_Opt In Zone 1(east - Laytonville NEW
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map Opt In Zone2 (west) - Laytonville NEW
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt In Zone 3a - Mitchell Creek Alt 1
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt In Zone 3a - Mitchell Creek Alt 2
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt In Zone 3b - Mitchell Creek
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt In Zone 4 - South Leggett
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt Out Zone 1 - Boonville Woodyglen
- Mendocino County Cannabis Zoning Map_Opt Out Zone 2 - Deerwood
Submit comments to the Board at email@example.com.
Covelo Opt-In Overlay Zone - Thursday, July 26th, 10:00 to Noon
Round Valley Public Library, 23925 Howard St, Covelo, CA 95428
Mitchell Creek Opt-In Overlay Zone - Thursday, July 26th, 5:00 to 7:00 PM
Caspar Community Center, South Room, 15051 Caspar Road, Caspar CA 95420
Laytonville and South Leggett Opt-In Overlay Zones - Friday, July 27th, 10:00 to Noon
Long Valley Garden Club, 375 Harwood Road, Laytonville, CA 95454
Deerwood and Woody Glen Opt-Out Zones - Friday, July 27th, 5:00 to 7:00 PM
County Administration Center, Board Chambers, 501 Low Gap Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
Have a question about the County’s cannabis program? Call the Cannabis Information Hotline at 1-844-421-WEED(9333).
If you would like to receive updates on the cannabis program, please sign up for Canna Notes e Notifications.
Check out the Cannabis Cultivation Program FAQs.
Need to file a complaint regarding a potential cannabis related issue? Call 1-844-421-WEED(9333) or complete a complaint form.
Permits and Licenses
Need to apply for a cannabis related permit or license? The table below identifies where to go for various types of permits, licenses and information.
Cannabis Facilities Business License
To apply for a cannabis processing, manufacturing, testing laboratory, retailer, distribution or microbusiness business license complete the Cannabis Facilities Business License application packet and submit it to the Tax Collector along with the applicable fee.
Cannabis Cultivation Permit
1. Make an appointment with Planning and Building Services to review the application site plan and generate a zoning clearance. Planning and Building Services will provide the applicant with a Initial Cannabis Cultivation Checklist and Zoning Clearance to take to the Department of Agriculture.
2.Make an appointment with the Department of Agriculture to submit a cannabis application, including proof of prior cultivation.
3. Once the Department of Agriculture staff have reviewed the Initial Cannabis Cultivation Application and zoning clearance, you will then take the signed Initial Application Review Checklist to the Treasurer/Tax Collectors Office to make a payment of a non-refundable application fee.
4. Upon payment, proof of payment for the processing of your application must be delivered to the Department of Agriculture. Once your proof of payment has been verified by the Department of Agriculture, your application will be processed
890 North Bush St.
Treasurer Tax - Collector
|501 Low Gap Rd, Room 1060
Ukiah, CA 95482
Phone: (707) 234-6875
Planning and Building Services
860 North Bush Street
501 Low Gap Road, Room 1010
Cannabis Cultivation Regulations
Please Note as of January 1, 2018, the Agricultural Exempt Building Application has been update to address hoop houses and storage buildings for cannabis cultivation. Please contact Planning and Building for more information.
Resolution No. 17-042 - adopting the Mitigated Negative Declaration and Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program for the Medical Cannabis Cultivation Regulation. For the full report please see the agenda item.
Cannabis Facilities Regulations
On October 17, 2017, Mendocino County adopted Chapter 20.243 - Cannabis Facilities and Chapter 6.36 Cannabis Facilities Businesses (Ordinance No. 4394) to permit the other aspects of the cannabis industry (dispensing/retail, distribution, processing, testing and manufacturing). The ordinance will take effect on November 16, 2017. For more information on how to apply for a Cannabis Facilities Business License, please contact the Treasurer Tax Collector's Office. For more information on zoning or building requirements, please contact the Planning and Building Services Department.
Contact information for State Agencies
Cannabis Questions? Call 1-844-421-WEED(9333)