Cannabis Permits and Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Cannabis Overlay Zones

Mendocino County amended its cannabis regulations on December 4, 2018, to establish two new types of Combining Districts: Commercial Cannabis Accommodation Combining Districts (Opt-In Districts) are areas intended to support continued operations by existing growers, and Commercial Cannabis Prohibition Combining Districts (Opt-Out Districts) are areas where commercial cannabis operations would be restricted.  From January 3, 2019 - July 1, 2019, the Department of Agriculture will be accepting applications for cultivation permits within the Cannabis Accommodation Combining Districts.  For more information on the application process please visit the cannabis cultivation page.  Below are the Combining District maps. 

 Opt-In District Maps

Opt-Out District Maps

Cannabis Questions

Have a question about the County’s cannabis program? Call the Cannabis Information Hotline at 1-844-421-WEED(9333)

If you would like to receive updates on the cannabis program, please sign up for Canna Notes e Notifications.

Check out the Cannabis Cultivation Program FAQs.

Cannabis Complaints

Need to file a complaint regarding a potential cannabis related issue? Call 1-844-421-WEED(9333) or complete a complaint form.

Permits and Licenses

Need to apply for a cannabis related permit or license? The table below identifies where to go for various types of permits, licenses and information.

Cannabis Facilities Business License

To apply for a cannabis processing, manufacturing, testing laboratory, retailer, distribution or microbusiness business license complete the Cannabis Facilities Business License application packet and submit it to the Tax Collector along with the applicable fee. 

Cannabis Cultivation Permit

Beginning Monday, April 1, 2019, the Mendocino County Cannabis Program, now under the Department of Planning and Building Services, will accept Phase I Cannabis Cultivation Applications. All applications for cultivation must be submitted via drop box located at the Department of Planning and Building Services.

Contact Information 



890 North Bush St.
Ukiah, CA 95482
Phone: (707) 234-6830


 Treasurer Tax - Collector

501 Low Gap Rd, Room 1060
Ukiah, CA 95482
Phone: (707) 234-6875

 Planning and Building Services


Ukiah Office:
860 North Bush Street
Ukiah, CA 95482
Phone: (707) 234-6650

Fort Bragg Office:
120 West Fir Street
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Phone: (707) 964-5379


 Environmental Health


Ukiah Office:
860 N Bush Street
Ukiah, Ca 95482
Phone: (707) 234-6625

Fort Bragg Office:
120 West Fir Street
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Phone: (707) 961-2714


 Code Enforcement  


860 North Bush Street
Ukiah, CA 95482
Phone: (707) 234-6650











































Cannabis Cultivation Regulations

Ordinance Adopting Chapter 10A.17 - Medical Cannabis Cultivation Ordinance and Chapter 20.242 - Medical Cannabis Cultivation Site, Adopted April 4, 2017.

Cannabis Business Tax – Ordinance No. 4361

Medical Cannabis Cultivation Amendment - Ordinance No. 4392, Adopted August 29, 2017

Please Note as of January 1, 2018, the Agricultural Exempt Building Application has been update to address hoop houses and storage buildings for cannabis cultivation.  Please contact Planning and Building for more information.

Resolution No. 17-042 - adopting the Mitigated Negative Declaration and Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program for the Medical Cannabis Cultivation Regulation.  For the full report please see the agenda item.   

The CEQA addendum for adult use can is also available online. 

Cannabis Facilities Regulations

On October 17, 2017, Mendocino County adopted Chapter 20.243 - Cannabis Facilities and Chapter  6.36 Cannabis Facilities Businesses (Ordinance No. 4394) to permit the other aspects of the cannabis industry (dispensing/retail, distribution, processing, testing and manufacturing).  The ordinance went into effect on November 16, 2017.  For more information on how to apply for a Cannabis Facilities Business License, please contact the Treasurer Tax Collector's Office.  For more information on zoning or building requirements, please contact the Planning and Building Services Department.

Contact information for State Agencies

State Water Board - Cannabis Cultivation Water Rights

North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board - Cannabis Cultivation Waste Discharge Regulatory Program

California Cannabis Portal

Cannabis Questions? Call 1-844-421-WEED(9333)


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer