The IHSS program is designed to enable Medi-Cal eligible elderly and disabled individuals to safely remain in their own home with the assistance of a provider. This is a long term service for low income elderly, disabled adults, and disabled children with extraordinary needs who require assistance.
- MORE INFORMATION ABOUT RECEIVING IHSS SERVICES and the application process is available here.
IHSS provides services according to the recipient’s ability to perform daily activities, and can include bathing, grooming, dressing, bowel and bladder care, light housekeeping, laundry, shopping, meal preparation and clean up, and other services. A provider may determine which duties they are comfortable performing before placement.
- MORE INFORMATION ABOUT BEING AN IHSS PROVIDER and the application process is available here.
IHSS recipients are responsible for:
- Hiring, supervising, and scheduling their providers
- Signing provider time sheets
- Firing the provider if the services are not performed according to the recipient’s specifications
Providers can be the recipient’s family member, friend, or acquaintance. Or, if no such person is already in mind, a recipient can hire someone through the registry of providers maintained by the IHSS Public Authority.
The IHSS Advisory Committee provides ongoing advice and recommendations regarding IHSS. Learn more about the Committee's work, including how to apply for membership here.