Mendocino County Museum
Meeting Room Use Agreement and Application Process
Mendocino County Museum Use Agreement
Mendocino County Museum’s meeting room is primarily intended to be used as a place to deliver Museum educational programming, activities and functions that serve the public, and to provide a meeting space for the Museum and or County sponsored events. Use by others for non-Museum or non-County events or use remains limited. The Mendocino County Museum is able to make the Museum meeting room available for occasional use to the following organizations to hold meetings, workshops, and or small conferences. This room is not available for standing meetings, regularly scheduled sessions, or recurring events and series.
- County of Mendocino related groups (e.g. Friends of Mendocino County Parks/Libraries/Animal Shelter etc.)
- Other governmental and civic entities directly serving the residents of the Mendocino County
- Not-for-profit educational, cultural, intellectual, or civic organizations
- Small conference
- Meetings or events of a personal nature e.g. birthday parties, weddings, funerals, anniversary parties, baby showers, are not permitted.
- Social gatherings, social clubs, or social activities are not permitted unless they are sponsored by the Museum.
- Religious services are not permitted.
- Meetings or events for commercial purposes where profit is the direct or indirect purpose of the meeting are not permitted.
- Political rallies or campaign events are not permitted.
- Meetings events to campaign for or against a specific ballot issue or candidate is not permitted.
- Meetings or events used to provide direct healthcare service, including examination, a hands-on demonstration, or a treatment are not permitted.
- Fund-raising activities or events are not permitted.
- Dance or music recitals is not permitted, unless it is sponsored by the Museum.
- Activities likely to disturb regular Museum functions are not permitted.
- Meetings or events that charge admission fees are not permitted. No fees may be charged or collected for meeting or program attendance.
- Any event or meeting that has direct or indirect sales of any product or services is prohibited.
- Any unlawful purpose is prohibited.
- Mendocino County Museum and all County departments have priority in the use of the meeting room space. The Museum reserves the right to reschedule confirmed meeting room reservations to accommodate Museum sponsored programs or events.
- All meetings and or programs may not interfere with Museum operations.
- The meeting room is not available on days and times when the Museum is closed to the public.
- 30 days prior to the event the rental fee and certificate of insurance that shows a minimum of coverage of $1,000,000.00 liability combined single limit for the time period above with such certificates naming the County as additionally insured is due to confirm the reservation.
- A person or group who attempts to schedule meetings under false pretenses using alternate names, etc. to circumvent the reservation rules stated in this section will be prohibited from using the Museum meeting room in the future.
- Permission to use the Museum facilities does not constitute endorsement of the Museum of the user or user’s beliefs.
- Seating: Maximum capacity for the Museum meeting room, (Wonacott Room/Classroom 2) is 40 people. Event attendance may not exceed the identified maximum capacity at any one function.
- Smoking: Smoking or vaping is not allowed within the building or within 20 feet of any Museum entry.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is not permitted.
- Parking and Access: Parking is available in the rear of the Willits Library/Museum lot. Access to the Museum meeting room is through the North Entrance in the rear of the Museum. Please check in with Museum staff upon arrival.
- Food and Drink: Light refreshments or snacks may be served in the Museum meeting room. Cooking or food preparation is not allowed.
- Signs or Displays: Posting signs, banners, flags or any other kind of displays on the building exterior or Museum premises is prohibited except during the hours of the meeting room reservation. The reserving group may not tack, nail, staple, signs/banners/display etc. to the building, or block existing signs.
- Cleanup: It is the responsibility of the reserving group, organization and/or individual using the facility to clean the Museum meeting room and restrooms and remove excess garbage resulting from event. The Museum meeting room is to be cleaned in accordance with the post event cleaning checklist provided and the building is to be returned to its original condition. Failure to clean the building properly, may result in the County billing actual costs to the reserving party, furthermore future use of Museum meeting room may be denied.
- Insurance: Reserving group, organization and/or individual shall be required to provide a Certificate of Insurance that provides evidence of $1,000,000 liability for the time period that they use the building with such certificates naming the County of Mendocino as additionally insured.
- Restrooms: Men’s, women’s, and accessible restrooms are available to the reserving party, located in the foyer near the meeting room. The reserving party is responsible for making sure the restrooms are clean prior to leaving.
- Sound/Noise: The Museum meeting room is located adjacent to the interior of the Museum exhibit galleries.Therefore, we ask that the noise level during museum hours be kept to a minimum so as not to disturb our Museum visitors. Reserving group, organization and/or individual will be required to comply with this restriction. Should the event fail to comply, said event may be terminated without refund of the rental fee and as well as the ability to rent the building for future events may be denied.
- Check in and Departure: The reserving party must check in and out with the Museum Receptionist (Museum main entrance), lights are to be turned off and building is to be locked properly after use.
- Time Reserved: The time reserved for room use includes set up and cleanup. Access to the meeting room is limited only to those hours reserved. Exceeding the reservation time may result in being charged an additional hourly fee rate of $30.
- Theft or Damage to Personal Property: The Mendocino County Museum is not responsible for theft or damage of property brought into the Museum meeting room.
- Publicizing Meeting/Room Use: In publicizing a meeting to be held in a Museum meeting room, the sponsoring group must be clearly identified. Groups must not imply Museum sponsorship of their program or organization in their publicity. Groups must provide contact information for any event. The Museum telephone number may not be used on promotional materials, and the Museum will not give out information about non-sponsored events. A group using the room may not advertise or announce an event to be held in a meeting room if the advertisement or announcement states or implies the endorsement of the Museum or County. Unless the Museum is a co-sponsor publicity for the event must contain this statement: The Mendocino County Museum is not a sponsor, nor does it endorse any practices or points of view of the sponsors of this program. The Museum will not advertise or promote any meting or event unless it is a co-sponsor.
- Minors and Supervision: Groups composed of persons under the age of 18 must be sponsored and directly supervised at all times by someone older than 18.
Reservations for the Museum meeting room can be made over the phone or in person. Fee payment and a certificate of liability must be received by Museum staff 30 days prior to the event to reserve the room. Reservations may be made no more than one (1) year in advance.
Cancellations must be made at least 48 hours in advance in order to be permitted to reschedule the reservation. Failure to notify the Museum of cancellations will result in loss of future meeting room space privileges. No refunds are issued for cancellations.
Exact cash payment or check is accepted.
$120 All Day (Museum Public Operating Hours)
$30 hourly (During Museum Public Operating Hours)
Museum Public Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Saturday and Sunday 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Terms and Conditions
Permission to use a Museum meeting room is not transferable from one individual or organization to another. The person signing this original application will be held responsible for proper use and clean-up of the room.
User agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Mendocino County, its officer, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, demands, causes of action, or liabilities incurred by the County, its officers, agents, or employees, arising from User’s acts or omissions under this Agreement or any act or omission of User’s officers, agents, or employees, contractors, or persons attending the meeting with the express or implied permission or invitation of User, except as may arise from the negligence or willful misconduct of County, its officers, agents, contractors or employees. In any action or claim against County in which User is defending County, County shall have the right to approve legal counsel providing County’s defense and such approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. User agrees to abide by the Mendocino County Museum Meeting Room Agreement and rules for use and acknowledges having received a copy thereof. Further, User will be held financially responsible for any damage to the facility or equipment, which occurs through User’s meeting at the facility.
Reserving group, organization and/or individual agrees to obtain full permission for use of all copyrighted material. Reserving group, organization and/or individual agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold the County of Mendocino harmless from any liability for improper use of copyrighted material. Reserving group, organization and/or individual agrees that all copyrighted material to be performed has been duly licensed or authorized by the copyright owners or their representatives and further agrees to indemnify and hold the County of Mendocino harmless from any and all claims, losses, or expenses incurred with regard thereto.
Mendocino County Museum Post Event Clean-up Check List
- Whiteboards erased
- Bathrooms have been cleaned
- Excess trash removed from the building
- Floors vacuumed (if necessary)
- Chairs, tables and counters wiped down
- Chairs stacked
- If used, appliances cleaned or wiped down
- Items placed on walls for event taken down
- Lights turned off
- Doors locked
- Museum Staff notified of departure
Mendocino County Museum Application
Please CLICK HERE for the PDF Use Agreement and Application Form for the Mendocino County Museum Meeting Room. Please make reservations in person or call to speak with Museum Staff in regard to Meeting Room availability and procedures.
Museum Meeting Room Location
Museum Phone: 707-459-2736
Hours of Operation: Wednesday-Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Saturday and Sunday 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.