The Museum is now open with limited hours, review our new guidelines below to plan a safe visit.
Show your Mendocino County Library card and visit the County Museum for FREE!
Planning a Visit During COVID-19: New Museum Guidelines
While our doors have been closed due to the recent Public Health Orders staff have continued to care for our collection, work on exhibits, and develop new ways we can serve our community in these new and challenging times. But, we have greatly missed the rewarding experiences we have with our visitors and volunteers.
We are pleased to announce that recent state changes and the 6.12.2020 Shelter-In-Place Order issued by the Mendocino County Public Health Officer have made it possible to reopen our doors and welcome visitors back to the Museum. The Mendocino County Museum will be operating in accordance with the guidelines and parameters set forth by both the State of California and the County of Mendocino.
The Museum will be implementing a phased approach to reopening with new rules to ensure the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff while still allowing for enjoyment and exploration of our exhibits. During the first phase the Museum will be operate with abbreviated hours and a 20 visitor capacity.
The Mendocino County Museum public hours will be:
WEDNESDAYS, FRIDAYS, & SATURDAYS 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
What can visitors expect when visiting the Mendocino County Museum? Below are the new policies we will be putting in place during phase one of reopening.
- Any person that is sick with flu-like symptoms such as cough and fever should not visit the Museum and should stay home and contact their health care provider if needed.
- Face masks will be required per the 5.28.20 Health Officer Face Coverings Order
- The Museum visitor capacity will be set at 20 people to ensure social distancing is possible.
- Social distancing will be practiced by visitors while inside the Museum, keeping a minimum of 6 ft. from persons outside their household.
- Admission will be FREE to all visitors during phase one to reduce cash handling and person to person contact. Monetary donations well be accepted via donation box in the lobby.
- Public restrooms will NOT be available.
- The gift shop, interactive room, Roots of Motive Power Library, and Mendocino County Museum Research library will all be closed to the public.
- Field trips and other guided tours will NOT be available.
- All interactive displays will be removed or blocked from use. Guests are asked not to touch any items in the Museum including any hands on items that were not able to be relocated.
- Our full length videos will NOT be running to eliminate lingering and to help keep the flow of visitors at a steady pace.
- In person research appointments will NOT be available. Our research librarian will be assisting with research via email and phone. You can find a research request form here.
** The COVID-19 outbreak is an ongoing, rapidly developing situation. The Mendocino County Museum encourages visitors to monitor local, state, and federal health organizations and government mandates and to use their discretion and best judgment before visiting public spaces. **
Discover Our History ~ Discover Our Museum!
The Mendocino County Museum collects, conserves and celebrates the stories, artifacts, and archives of the people and places in Mendocino County.
Exhibits and displays include a 10,000 year-old Clovis Point, actual storefronts of historic businesses, 19th century stagecoaches and a "new settler" hippie van. We also have memorabilia from the famous race horse, Seabiscuit. Our Woven Worlds exhibit on Native Peoples of Mendocino County follows a descriptive timeline from Coyote to Casino ... from first contact to self-determination. Near the front of the museum is a Veterans Memorial in honor of the 22 fallen or missing in action veterans who served in Vietnam. You'll also find a gift and book shop inside the museum. CLICK HERE to download our brochure.
Located near the museum is a collection of restored antique logging and railroad equipment owned by the Roots of Motive Power, a volunteer organization dedicated to preservation and restoration of historical logging, steam and railroad equipment. Some of their collection of steam-powered locomotives and equipment are often stored in the Museum's Engine House.
This is a great opportunity to discover what makes this county so unique, fun, and fabulous so please visit soon! The Museum has free admission on the first Saturday of every month and daily to all Mendocino County Museum Library Card Holders.
Mendocino County Museum
Willits, CA 95490
Hours of Operation & Admission
Due to COVID-19 we will have limited hours until further notice. Thank you for your understanding
|Wednesday||12:00 pm - 4:00 pm|
|Friday||12:00 pm - 4:00 pm|
|Saturday||12:00 pm - 4:00 pm|
The Mendocino County Museum is currently waiving admission fees for all visitors.
Location and Directions