Mendocino County Hemp Survey
Please CLICK HERE to participate in our anonymous survey regarding hemp cultivation in Mendocino County.
Cannabis Overlay Zones
Mendocino County amended its cannabis regulations on December 4, 2018, to establish two new types of Combining Districts: Commercial Cannabis Accommodation Combining Districts (Opt-In Districts) are areas intended to support continued operations by existing growers, and Commercial Cannabis Prohibition Combining Districts (Opt-Out Districts) are areas where commercial cannabis operations would be restricted.
From January 3, 2019 - July 1, 2019, the Department of Agriculture will be accepting applications for cultivation permits within the Cannabis Accommodation Combining Districts.
Please click here to view the interactive Cannabis Accommodation Combining Districts on Google Maps.
Below are the Combining District maps.
Opt-In District Maps
Opt-Out District Maps
Cannabis Program Information
Here are the steps to submit an application and begin the permitting process:
1.Make an appointment with Planning and Building Services to review the application site plan and generate a zoning clearance. Planning and Building Services will provide the applicant with an Initial Application Review Checklist and Zoning Clearance to take to the Department of Agriculture.
2. Make an application intake appointment with the Department of Agriculture to submit a cannabis application package, including proof of prior cultivation. Please see the Cannabis Permit Application Checklist for other requirements.
3. Once the Department of Agriculture staff have reviewed the Initial Cannabis Cultivation Application, you will then take the signed Initial Application Review Checklist to the Treasurer/Tax Collectors Office to make a payment of a non-refundable application fee.
4. After payment, proof of payment for the processing of your application must be delivered to the Department of Agriculture. Once your proof of payment has been verified by the Department of Agriculture, your application will be processed.
5. Once you are issued your official application receipts, you are required to place one application receipt at the cultivation site and one application receipt in your business folder.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The County activated
Cannabis Information Hotline
The County activated a Cannabis Information Hotline (1-844-421-WEED (9333)) for all cannabis related inquires, questions, and/or to be directed to the appropriate department associated with the inquiry. All interested parties will call one number for cannabis related inquiries. This hotline includes options on how to register cannabis complaints, where to apply for permits, where to pay cannabis related taxes, information regarding the building permit process, as well as general information regarding the County’s Cannabis Cultivation Program.
Pesticide Use 101 for Cannabis Cultivators
The Department of Agriculture has recently hosted several training classes introducing cannabis cultivators to pesticide use, regulation, and enforcement in Mendocino County. We are providing a link to a video of one of the classes for your convenience, here. We expect pesticide regulations to continue to change over the next several years. We will continue to update our training course as the regulations change.
Cannabis Application Workshops
The Department of Agriculture hosted joint workshops with other agencies to assist cultivators in the application process. The workshops included presentations from state agencies and county departments involved in the commercial cultivation of cannabis. The recording of the Willits workshop is available on the County's YouTube Channel.
On June 20, 2016, the Division of Measurement Standards (DMS) released an informational brochure on medical cannabis. It is intended to provide guidance to cannabis dispensaries, cultivators, distributors, transporters, and product manufacturers in the areas of scale selection, scale registration and testing, service agencies, packaging and labeling inspections, and weighmasters. Click here to view the brochure. Click here to go to the DMS webpage.
- Pesticide Use on Cannabis
- Legal Pest Management Practices for Cannabis in California
- Examples of scales for use with cannabis
- Watershed Best Management Practices (MCRCD)
- CDFA CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing Website
- CDFW Cannabis Program Website
- SWRCB Water Boards Cannabis Cultivation Website
- Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation
- Urgency Ordinance (Ordinance 4356)
- Weighmaster License Application
- Contact List
Questions or Additional Documents?
If you have questions, please e-mail email@example.com or call 1-844-421-WEED(9333).
If you would like to receive updates on the cannabis program, please sign up for Canna Notes e Notifications.
If you have additional documents to submit after your initial application has been received, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the applicant's name and permit application number as the subject line.
Please visit our Cannabis Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for additional details.