Here are the steps to submit an application and begin the permitting process:
1.Make an appointment with Planning and Building Services to review the application site plan and generate a zoning clearance. Planning and Building Services will provide the applicant with a Initial Cannabis Cultivation Checklist and Zoning Clearance to take to the Department of Agriculture.
2. Make an appointment with the Department of Agriculture to submit a cannabis application package, including proof of prior cultivation.
3. Once the Department of Agriculture staff have reviewed the Initial Cannabis Cultivation Application, you will then take the signed Initial Application Review Checklist to the Treasurer/Tax Collectors Office to make a payment of a non-refundable application fee
4. Upon payment, proof of payment for the processing of your application must be delivered to the Department of Agriculture. Once your proof of payment has been verified by the Department of Agriculture, your application will be processed
Cannabis Information Hotline
The County activated a Cannabis Information Hotline (1-844-421-WEED (9333)) for all cannabis related inquires, questions, and/or to be directed to the appropriate department associated with the inquiry. All interested parties will call one number for cannabis related inquiries. This hotline includes options on how to register cannabis complaints, where to apply for permits, where to pay cannabis related taxes, information regarding the building permit process, as well as general information regarding the County’s Cannabis Cultivation Program.
Pesticide Use 101 for Cannabis Cultivators
The Department of Agriculture has recently hosted several training classes introducing cannabis cultivators to pesticide use, regulation, and enforcement in Mendocino County. We are providing a link to a video of one of the classes for your convenience, here. We expect pesticide regulations to continue to change over the next several years. We will continue to update our training course as the regulations change.
Cannabis Application Workshops
The Department of Agriculture hosted joint workshops with other agencies to assist cultivators in the application process. The workshops included presentations from state agencies and county departments involved in the commercial cultivation of cannabis. The recording of the Willits workshop is available on the County's YouTube Channel.
On June 20, 2016, the Division of Measurement Standards (DMS) released an informational brochure on medical cannabis. It is intended to provide guidance to cannabis dispensaries, cultivators, distributors, transporters, and product manufacturers in the areas of scale selection, scale registration and testing, service agencies, packaging and labeling inspections, and weighmasters. Click here to view the brochure. Click here to go to the DMS webpage.
- Pesticide Use on Cannabis
- Legal Pest Management Practices for Cannabis in California
- Examples of scales for use with cannabis
- Watershed Best Management Practices (MCRCD)
- Cannabis Frequently Asked Questions
- Track and Trace Frequently Asked Questions
- CDFA Medical Cannabis Cultivation Program
- Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation
- Urgency Ordinance (Ordinance 4356)
- Weighmaster License Application
- Contact List
If you have questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-844-421-WEED(9333).
If you would like to receive updates on the cannabis program, please sign up for Canna Notes e Notifications.